Steph's Reviews > Death's Mistress

Death's Mistress by Karen Chance

2142019
Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: year-read-2010, favorites-2010, series-ongoing, author-웃, series-i-love, my-re-reads, sos-12x12in2012, year-read-2012, favorites-2012
Recommended for: All Cassandra Palmer books by Karen Chance; UF fans
Read in January, 2010

Ok, Ok, it was worth waiting a yr for book #2, Karen Chance does not disappoint with her detailed (but not overly so) fight sequences and action packed sequel to Midnight's Daughter. If you haven't read any of Karen Chance's books (these or Cassandra Palmer) you must! If you love UF, you will love her stories. Although it's not necessary to read the Cassandra Palmer series first, you may want read them at some point (if you like Dory) because they take place in the same "world" and have some cross-over characters, mainly Louis-Cesare, Radu and Mircea, Dory's father.

Dory is a dhamphir (½ human, ½ vampire) and daughter of Mircea, Vamp Senator. She kills revenants (who are essentially vamps-gone-wrong, who will attack anything - human or vampire - that gets in his way, they are insane) and occasionally gets commissions from Mircea to hunt down vamps who have violated Senate law.

Claire, Dory's former roommate and now Fae Princess and mom of the heir to the throne, has come back asking for Dory's help locating a rune that will keep her son safe. Louis-Cesare is trying to track down his mistress. You soon find out that the two are connected some how. Now if Dory can just stay alive long enough to complete her mission... Bad luck (and bad guys) always seem to follow Dory around, even her fortune cookie read ""...Your Guardian Angel Got Laid Off...".

Dory's feelings for both Louis-Cesare and Mircea are constantly fluctuating. She is trying to figure out where she stands with Louis-Cesare and Mircea opens up a lot more to her in this book. So much so that she's beginning to question everything she used to think about him.

Two of my favorite characters in this book were Stinky "... a cross between a monkey and a little old man: long, furry limbs, tiny squashed face and wild Muppet hair" and Raymond Lu, who was absolutely hilarious!

And as much as I adore Pritkin, I have to say that I fell a little more for Louis-Cesare in this one. Also, the hints and new revelations about Mircea just made me that much more anxious to get my hands on Cassie Palmer's book #5!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Mistress.

01/08/2010 page 52
10/05/2012
16.0% "Re-read in prep for "Fury's Kiss""
10/08/2012
100.0% "“Naw. I’m a stallion, baby!”"
show 3 hidden updates…