Steph's Reviews > First Drop of Crimson

First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

2142019
Feb 14, 10

bookshelves: year-read-2010, favorites-2010, series-ongoing, author-웃, series-i-love, author-favorite, series-book1, series-spinoff
Read from February 09 to 11, 2010

For the past several years, I've been reading Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress books and was excited when I found out that she was writing Night Huntress World which would tell the stories of the fabulous side characters from Bones' & Cat's world. And First Drop of Crimson did NOT disappoint!

I am a die-hard Bones fan, but I have to say Spade won me over big time. His softer side really came through, as did his pain for the loss of his human love, Giselda. Denise likened him to "a Calvin Klein ad ... women would be tempted to lick the page". OooLaLa!

As hard as Denise has tried to stay out of the sup world, she's dragged back in by Raum, the demon who's hunting for her ancestor, Nathaniel, who has somehow managed to renig on his deal. She cannot reach Cat or Bones, so she turns to the only other vampire she can think of that may help her, Spade.

They are both determined to get this done and return to their lives, but their attraction (felt in previous book) cannot be denied by either of them. But, Denise suffers from PTSD after the brutal loss of her husband, Randy, Bones' friend. And, Spade stays away from relationships with humans, who are "aside from tasting delicious, they were usually more trouble than they were worth". Both Spade and Denise change in ways throughout the book that bring them closer together. Bones cracks me up when he realizes his long time friend has fallen for Denise, "Lucifer's bouncing balls, that's why you're acting like a nutter! You've gone and fallen in love with her. Bloody hell ..."

Night Huntress characters, Cat, Bones, Ian (Bones' now-co-ruler), Fabian (Cat's friendly ghost), Alten, and Mencheres (Spade's sire), make an appearance when Spade & Denise realize they need help doing what needs to be done.

I canNOT wait for the next book about Mencheres, the 4000 yr old Master vampire and Kira.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Drop of Crimson.

02/10/2010 page 92
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

FlibBityFLooB Hey -- I hope your move went welL to Japan! I'm curious how you'll feel about this book. I liked it, but I see a lot of comment threads bashing it.

Steph FlibBityFLooB wrote: "Hey -- I hope your move went welL to Japan! I'm curious how you'll feel about this book. I liked it, but I see a lot of comment threads bashing it."

Thanks for thinkin' of me. Haven't moved yet, but did get everything packed and shipped off this week. We head off in a bit. Been sneaking a bit of time here and there to read still. hehe

LOVED this book. I am a BIG fan of Jeaniene Frost and haven't disliked any of her books so far. I'll have to check out the threads, curious what others didn't like about it.

message 3: by Shay (last edited Feb 20, 2010 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay Finaly, someone who enjoyed the book as much as i did.
one Question tough, didnt you find it odd to watch Cat&Bones toghether from the out-side?
I felt like the magic & chemistry was almost non existing. wired.
But Bones was funny as always. I started calpping my handes and making funny noises as soon as Spade got on the phone with him (I was home alone, luckily, or the boyfriend would have moved out for sure this time!).

Steph LOL! Yeah, seems to be getting a lot of very low or very high reviews. I definitely loved it. It was strange seeing Cat & Bones as external characters, really looking forward to their next book! :)