Arlene's Reviews > Where Dreams Begin

Where Dreams Begin by Lisa Kleypas

Jun 22, 09

bookshelves: romance, historical, adult
Read in December, 2008

This is the first book by Lisa Kleypas that I've read, and I was not thoroughly impressed. Kleypas writes a good story with interesting characters, but I just didn't care for how she developed the storyline around them.

Zachary and Holly were very likable characters, and you find yourself rooting for them from the beginning. But Kleypas makes it difficult when the heroine continues to lament over her first husband who died years before these two people met. I could understand sprinkling some of that in the beginning of the novel, but to continue on about it throughout the story eliminates the book's magical possibilities. I guess I just like the concept that two people are made for each other and no one else.

I really liked the hero, Zachary, because he was a well developed character - very ambitious, business savvy, determined, ruthless, and strong, while still being considerate, loving and gentle with the heroine and his family.

All in all, it was an entertaining and touching story, just wished it could have eliminated some of the heroine's continual mourning over her dead husband. I will definitely consider other books by Kleypas though because I sense she has what it takes to capture the reader and send them on a magical ride...just got to find the right book...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Dreams Begin.