Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Don't Bargain with the Devil

Don't Bargain with the Devil by Sabrina Jeffries

Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads
Read in June, 2009

"Don't Bargain With the Devil" is the sixth book in Sabrina Jeffries 'School for Heiresses' series. This time we get the story of Lucinda, one of the former students but now stepping in as a teacher to help out the owner. This is a tale filled with Jeffries' humor, sensuality, and the search for a missing heiress.

Lucinda Seton is furious, hurt and furious. The man she thought was going to propose DID come up with a proposal...but not for marriage! Well, she'll show him! Her Spanish blood doesn't mean she can't behave like a proper society miss and as soon as she finds a husband, she'll make sure the ex knows just what he passed up! Of course, the husband will need to be a proper British lord, not that Spanish magician...even though he is very handsome, and flirtatious, and WHAT! trying to build a pleasure garden next to the school? NEVER!

Diego's lost everything during the war. His father to maurading British soldiers, his family's estate to try and care for his mother afterwards, his mother who never recovered from her treatment by the same soldiers that killed his father, and his pride when he was caught stealing. But instead of turning him in, the man taught him his trade...that of the magician, and now Diego is one of the most famous in Europe. Yet when the wealthy and influential Spanish Marques de Parama offers to return his family's estates, Diego is determined to get them back. All he has to do is track down the Marques' granddaughter, stolen by her nurse during the war and taken back to England. Which will be stronger? Love or land?

I laughed through most of this one. Reading about Lucinda, with her fiery temper and quick retorts, trying so hard to be proper...it was almost impossible not to laugh! And Diego, ahhh Diego. I think we should all get a shot at a Diego once in our lives, don't you? Although at times I did keep picturing Gomez from the Adams family show when he would start kissing Morticia's arm...well, maybe that was just me.

So a bit of a mystery with the whole missing heiress and who are the real parents bit, lots of steamy seduction, scintillating battles of wit, and even a kidnapping. "Don't Bargain with the Devil" is a delight for regency lovers and historical lovers both. And Sabrina Jeffries' final book of series "Wed Him Before You Bed Him" is already out (Jun09) so I can mark these off my list.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Bargain with the Devil.

message 1: by Rane (new) - added it