Shannon's Reviews > Bound

Bound by Sally Cabot Gunning

Dec 01, 11

Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I was irritated with the protagonist, but the book made me think a lot, so the book was a success, in my eyes.

Basic Plot: 11-year old sold into "bondage" 'till she's 18 on landing in American Colonies from London by father, who couldn't pay doctor/extra fees for mom and brothers dying on voyage over. First master seems good guy, but when she's transferred to master's daughter as part of marriage dowry, husband repeatedly violently rapes now 15-year old, who subsequently runs away, is taken in by really nice folks, hides rape-induced pregnancy, baby dies, girl is accused of murder, then has to also stand trial for running away, but is finally manumitted.

Irritation: main character makes terrible choices/actions based on lack of information, but never checks up on the information, and while she occasionally has clarity enough to see that she's making bad decisions based on faulty supposition, never takes the next step to try and get good information before making crucial decisions. Frankly, some times, she's embarassing.

Thoughts: Is my need for Alice to (for gods sake) just talk to the Widow and to Mr. Freeman to see what their intentions are based on 2009 belief about behavior and propriety? (we talk about everything these days) Would my way of fixing Alice even be thinkable or available in the 1760's? But then, you have the Widow and Mr Freeman, who simply scream "same values as me", so why wouldn't Alice simply be able to just talk with them, so she doesn't make more stupid mistakes based on lack of information? Aargh!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barb Hi there,

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship Should be hidden for spoilers. Seconding above comment.

Shannon Barb wrote: "Hi there,
I'm wondering if you would be willing to hide your review because it contains spoilers. Anyone who hasn't read this will know exactly what happens from your review."

If you'd tell me how, I'd be happy to.

Barb Go to edit your review and there is a little box at the bottom on the right hand side. It says click here to hide spoilers.
Thanks very muchd,