Laura's Reviews > The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Jun 22, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

3.5 stars, maybe 3.75. This book was like taking Philosophy 102 without taking its prerequisite, Phi 101. (And I took PHI 101 in college - it's been a little while, but...) There were glimmering gems, no doubt, but there were whole bits that I had to read, reread, reread, and still didn't quite understand. Because I didn't JUST take PHI 101. So that bothered me - to just read on. The ending was just ... I don't know. I think for the work we did to get all the way to the end of this book, because it reads in great part like a textbook, that we deserved more from the ending. So even though in parts it sparkled, I can't give it 4 stars. I'm glad I read it though, having said all that. And I would read it again, even knowing what I now know. Just get ready for some work. And watch the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

09/28/2009 page 96

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy What do you think of this one? I tried but only made it to about Chapter 3 before setting it aside! I was making a list of words to look up. I always thought I was pretty word-wise (so to speak!); I had a long list in only 3 chapters!

Laura It hasn't really sucked me in either but I thought it was because Im also reading the best book ever and they were competing too much. I think it takes more effort, and I'm not really in the mood for effort at the moment.

Rose Keep going Cindy. Don't get bogged down with the vocabulary or philosophical stuff. Underneath it all is a very good story. It's worth it! ;)

Laura Have you finished it Rose?

message 5: by Meg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meg Uh oh I am on Chapter 3!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Are you enjoying it Meg???

message 7: by Meg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meg I can't say that I am totally into it, but I am plogging through just not hooked.

message 8: by Rosemary (new) - added it

Rosemary Should I start that one next? Not sure what to read and have a shelf full to read.

Laura Keep going Meg! I'm dying to see what you think.