Selby's Reviews > Leaves of Grass

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Sep 11, 2007

bookshelves: poetry

Whitman used to right fake reviews under false names for Leaves of Grass and send them to publishers, newspapers, and periodicals. I love that about him. So over the top. He had love for everything. Especially himself. As for the quality of the work the words speak for themselves:
"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning god, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body..........."
103 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaves of Grass.

01/30 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Mitchell: what little I've read of Whitman didn't impress me much. Obviously I didn't read enough. This excerpt is making me reconsider his work and I'll be seeking it out in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Daniel Behn Careful fellow Whitman fanatic, I felt obliged to comment your 4th-word-typo

Selby Daniel wrote: "Careful fellow Whitman fanatic, I felt obliged to comment your 4th-word-typo"

Bwahahhaaha. I love it. I'm pretty sure have to leave it there. It is just too good of a stupid mistake.

John Dziennik That quote is in my top five favorite quotes.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Now that's a quote to live by!

Poyan Pourshian What a great quote! Earlier today before reading your review, after reading it in the book I wrote it down it in my notebook.

message 7: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I just picked this up and that quote jumped out at me too!