Leigh's Reviews > for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf

for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbo... by Ntozake Shange

Sep 11, 2007

bookshelves: teaching, feminism-is-for-everybody

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf.

message 1: by Ferentz (new)

Ferentz Taught this last semester. A harder text than I imagined. I thought the conversations around the background, its history went over well, but we could not figure out how to do the close readings. Let me know how your venture with it turns out.

message 2: by Mendi (new)

Mendi I'd like to know, too. I'm not there yet, but Cheryl Clarke has a chapter on _for colored girls_ in her book _After Mecca_ (which I am kicking myself for not teaching this semester).

Leigh I taught this last year in Black Women's Studies/Black Feminism Course. The students had read Toni Cade Bambara's anthology *The Black Woman* the week before. With *Colored Girls* they were assigned Haile Gerima's film *Bush Mama.* We spent alot of time talking about form (what is a choreopoem? what do the elements of poetry, dance, performance give us? how do they help produce this particular construction of black womanhood?). They of course read aloud and spent time with the imagery. I also showed them the opening and another scene from the recorded version with Alfre Woodard (horrible) which gave them a sense of dramaturgy. And then we discussed it in the context of *Bush Mama.* I have to admit, it wasn't the absolute best session we had that semester and maybe the power of the play is in its performance. I'll have to check out Cheryl Clarke. Good luck ya'll.