Melanie Daves's Reviews > The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jun 22, 09

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Bees.

Quotes Melanie Liked

Sue Monk Kidd
“I hadn't been out to the hives before, so to start off she gave me a lesson in what she called 'bee yard etiquette'. She reminded me that the world was really one bee yard, and the same rules work fine in both places. Don't be afraid, as no life-loving bee wants to sting you. Still, don't be an idiot; wear long sleeves and pants. Don't swat. Don't even think about swatting. If you feel angry, whistle. Anger agitates while whistling melts a bee's temper. Act like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. Above all, send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“We are so limited, you have to use the same word for loving Rosaleen as you do for loving Coke with peanuts. Isn't that a shame we don't have many more ways to say it?”
tags: love

Sue Monk Kidd
“Every human being on the face of the earth has a steel plate in his head, but if you lie down now and then and get still as you can, it will slide open like elevator doors, letting in all the secret thoughts that have been standing around so patiently, pushing the button for a ride to the top. The real troubles in life happen when those hidden doors stay closed for too long.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I have noticed that if you look carefully at people's eyes the first five seconds they look at you, the truth of their feelings will shine through for just an instant before it flickers away.”
Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:

Sue Monk Kidd
“There's nothing like a song about lost love to remind you how everything precious can slip from the hinges where you've hung it so careful.”
Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:

Sue Monk Kidd
“Drifting off to sleep, I thought about her. How nobody is perfect. How you just have to close your eyes and breathe out and let the puzzle of the human heart be what it is.”