Laura's Reviews > Good Grief

Good Grief by Lolly Winston

Jun 24, 09

Read in June, 2009

I found this book both touching and funny. The character in the book takes us along with her through the grief process after she loses her husband to cancer at 36. Another reader's review suggested that this story is the author's idea of a happy ending for a widow. I would have to agree to some extent, but to me it was as if Sophie acted out what many only imagine doing. You might think about staying in your bathrobe for weeks and breaking things if you lost a loved one, but more likely you would just continue on with your life. You might want to move away from the home, places and memories you shared but I would imagine that most people don't.

The part that probably touched me the most was the scene about the anniversary of Ethan's death. Sophie struggles with how to handle this day properly. With the anniversary of my dad's passing coming in the next week I could identify completely.

My review makes this book like a downer, but it really has a very funny tone overall in the face a serious subject.

The edition I have has a conversation with the author, questions for the reader and a list of the author's favorite books. I really enjoy these kinds of extras.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Grief.