JenMcJ's Reviews > The Gift

The Gift by Kim Dare

Dec 17, 12

bookshelves: e-books, mm-mmm-a-few-mmf-too

Another Kim Dare win! She is so good at writing people with issues that are relateable and not overdone.

This is a christmas tale and I am glad I didn't read it at Christmas. I have to admit the dang thing made me cry.

Charles is just obtuse enough not to see how he is hurting Nicky and Nicky is just insecure enough not to know how to ask for what he wants. Thanks to the Spirit of Christmas Past, Charles gets his eyes opened and Nicky gets the security he is craving.

The only drawback on this one is the threesome. It was fun to read but the story could have been more touching without this scene in this manner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Dare Thanks Jen, glad you liked it :)

I cried when I wrote it.

Take care,

Kim Dare.

JenMcJ I was just telling someone on here how much I like your stuff. You are very talented at what you do.

message 3: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Dare Thanks Jen, it means a lot. The idea that people are out there reading the books is all still a bit sureal to be honest.

When I started writing M/M romance I thought it would be unpublishable - at the time I had no idea there were other people out there writing it or reading it!

Carole-Ann I think this was probably the first (or nearly) story Kim got published, and (as far as I'm concerned) it heralded a new star! I've never looked back - I have all Kim's stories (both short and long) and have enjoyed every single one.

Yes, sometimes I jump up and down in frustration wanting more, more more!; but she manages the short, sharp, insta-moments extremely well.

Case in point, is her "Pushing the Envelope" series (all 14 of them!). They are clever, intense, get the message across VERY well - but too short! Fortunately, there is movement afoot to re-publish them in ONE book/novel, and whether in print or ebook form, I certainly intend to buy it!

OK, I'm a fan, but I haven't been anywhere disappointed yet!!

message 5: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Dare Hi Carole-Ann :)

Just wanted to say Thank You and *Hugs*.

Yes, The Gift was the first one to be released.

As far as I know, Pushing the Envelope will only come out as one big collection in print rather than in e-book as well.

*Hugs again and goes away to let people talk in peace*