Alex's Reviews > Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice

Here's the Story by Maureen McCormick

301955
Jun 21, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-reads, celeb-memoirs, guilty-pleasure, california, nonfiction, women-authors, media-tie-in
Read in June, 2009

I have an unabashed love of celebrity bios. I feel almost no guilt in reading them. There are a few rules though. I have to get them from the library (natch) and they should not be longer than 275 pages. (Anyone can whittle their life down to that amount; it's called being succinct!) And, please, don't dwell on one's "life philosophy." I have never once read something in a celebrity bio that I would call "wisdom." Problem is, no matter who you are, your life lessons all start to sound the same after a while.

Maureen McCormick is my latest read. She hits all her marks. Her story is brief and surprisingly juicy. It says something about this book that the moment the author falls on the street and sees Jesus calling to her is one of the less outrageous details.

Turns out Ms. McCormick was an abusive wife. Not just an abusive wife... a born-again Christian abusive wife. You read that right: after giving her life over to Jesus, Mo turned on her husband. She slaps him around (I kid you not) and nearly drives him away. He stays because he's committed to God. I found these sections even more riveting than her lost cocaine years. Also, it can't be a coincidence that these bios (those written by women, anyway) always involve confessions of same-sex desire. Mo thought about it, mostly in Amsterdam. Not sure how she feels about the issue now.

Less interesting is her detail about her five seasons playing Marcia on 'The Brady Bunch.' About the only detail worth nothing is that she and Barry "Greg" Williams nearly got it on. Also, little lispy Cindy knew Robert Reed was gay before Mo did.

Oh, and by the end, Mo is being secretly videotaped by her brother who is threatening to ruin her career, all the while acting as kidnapper to their father.

That's the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here's the Story.