Renee's Reviews > The Grand Sophy

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

Oct 17, 14

bookshelves: romance, georgette-heyer
Read in October, 2009

The Grand Sophy is my second Heyer (after the so-so Sprig Muslin), and it's a delight--much more enjoyable than the other, because I preferred Sophy's protagonists. Heyer's strengths as a writer are her humor & command of dialogue; consequently, her books succeed or flounder based on how amusing you find the lead characters.

Sophy borders on being too perfect, but Heyer somehow manages to make her charming instead of a Mary Sue. It helps that Sophy's physically in the Elizabeth Bennett category, and while she's savvy about people (thus potentially manipulative), her heart and brain are in the right place. There's also something comforting about a heroine whose wild schemes always succeed. I liked Charles (even if they are first cousins--squick!), too, and loved his & Sophy's bickering dynamic.

The other characters are entertaining as well, so that I never got impatient when the story detoured from the main couple. It helps that Cecilia, Heyer's requisite "silly beauty" secondary lead, is sympathetic, and not very silly at all. I liked her eventual husband, and deeply enjoyed her unsuitable beau Augustus Fawnhope.

The book isn't perfect, though (hence 4 stars instead of 5)--the plot meanders, and as others have mentioned, there's an ugly anti-Semitic moment (involving a money-lender named Goldhanger, of all things). As a Hispanic, I also had major eye roll over the Spanish Marquesa (she's the embodiment of sloth, except when food is involved). And, while Sophy gets a free pass for comedy's sake, any house guest who gives her host a monkey and a parrot should be shot.

That said, The Grand Sophy is pure fun (think Jane Austen mixed with P.G. Wodehouse), and well worth picking up. A must read for romance/historical fiction fans.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grand Sophy.

message 1: by Marjorie (new) - added it

Marjorie did you get it from work??? I wanna read it!!

Renee We have it at work, but I borrowed it from someone, & read it in a day. It's SO GOOD. You will love Heyer.