Allison Floyd's Reviews > Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel

Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Jun 21, 09

bookshelves: spackle-for-the-void
Read in June, 2009

More of a reference book and a rousing pep talk than a guide book, I think; that said, it offers a veritable forest of trees to bark up with respect to logistics and specifics (also available and updated on the website). This is a nice, quick read if you're needing a friendly shove off of the couch and some ideas on how to start doing the necessary homework to plan a long-term journey. There's some good perspective in here, particularly as concerns some of the mental pitfalls that may await the traveler. I experienced pretty much all of them and wish I'd had this book handy at the time, not necessarily for earth-shattering insights so much as an accessible and relatable voice on the subject. Reading it with the advantage of semi-hindsight was also valuable.

I also appreciate that Potts rightly (if gently) calls bullshit on self-righteous "travelers" who devote an inordinate amount of time to distinguishing themselves from "tourists". As is so often the case, the people who have a leg to stand on with this kind of meaningless, arrogant pseudo-superiority seem to have better things to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vagabonding.