CaliGirlRae's Reviews > Letters To My Mother

Letters To My Mother by Rebecca Heath

Jun 21, 09

bookshelves: coming-of-age, older-man-younger-woman-romances, mainstream-fiction, american-historical, favorite, based-on-real-events-and-people, favorites
Recommended for: Incurable Romantics & Readers who love a good story
Read in June, 2009, read count: 2

I came across this online novel in a google search and decided to take a look at it with plans to just read the first chapter one night. Soon I found myself diving into the story and absorbed in the lives of the characters we meet throughout the story.

The story focuses on Kate Collins in the present time as she goes through her mother's possessions after her death. She comes upon the letters she sent from college and we're transported through Kate's memories via the letters as she goes to Washington University college at the age of 19 in '50s Seattle. Kate is a smart girl, often working hard to keep ahead of her classes and (as we come to find out later) often a head of herself. She gets a part time job typing a book for one of the biochemist teachers, the handsome and much older Dr. David Roseneau. The two become friends through their love of knowledge and learning and soon feelings and relationships grow into more as Kate's and David's lives forever change.

I LOVED this book! It's like finding a treasure in the midst of a wide ocean. Author Rebecca Heath presents a story which reads like an old friend telling you her life story. It feels like a memoir/autobiography in a way. Kate and David go into detail talking about sailing, opera, poetry, classic books and much more which ties to their interest. Some readers may not be comfortable that Roseneau was in a unhappy marriage while involved with Kate but in a time before no-fault divorce and the connection these two make with each other, it works especially as we see them in the epilogue. There's lots of frank talk about sex and love that I found refreshing and none of the book felt formulaic or forced. David and Kate felt like real characters I would like to get to know myself. As they met and shared their history with the people they met and knew, I felt like I was right there learning about their life story. As Kate had a sexual and emotional awakening with David, I could relate to her curiosity and growing love. The author took time to show us the strong friendship and eventual love between Kate and David and the end results were so satisfying I didn't want it to end.

Letters to My Mother is a wonderful love story mixed with a coming of age tale that any one could relate to as they recall their first and/or greatest love. The novel is offered free from the author. It's so good I wish she would make a tip jar or donation button somewhere because a story this good deserves some kickbacks for its wonderful creation.

Although the book was published in 2008, this is definitely going on my best reads of 2009 and my virtual keeper shelf. I hope the author makes a print edition available one day because I'd love to place this on my shelf with my other favorites.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters To My Mother.

CaliGirlRae Giving this one a re-read now! :-)

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Heath Letters To My Mother is now available on Smashwords for downloading as a PDF and in various ebook reading formats.