Marathon County Public Library MCPL's Reviews > Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape

Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill

Jenna Miscavige Hill was born and raised as a Scientologist and as the niece of David Miscavige, the Church of Scientology's leader, she grew up at the center of this secretive and controversial organization. Jenna did not have a typical childhood. Her parents were often away doing work for the church, so Jenna spent most of her time at the Ranch, a Scientology-owned property where children were treated as adults and often forced to do difficult physical labor. Jenna moved up in the ranks of Scientology and joined the Sea Org, the church's most devoted group of followers, and was stationed at many different bases with different jobs. As Jenna grew older, she was forced to disconnect from her family and participated in many aspects of Scientology that did not seem right to her, including many emotionally and physically abusive situations. Eventually, Jenna realized that she can no longer be a Scientologist and must escape from the church with her husband. Overall, this was a very compelling and interesting read and I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to learn more about Scientology or who like to read about people overcoming struggles.

Laura W. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Belief.

05/02/2013 marked as: read