Kelly V's Reviews > Bearing An Hourglass

Bearing An Hourglass by Piers Anthony

Feb 16, 15

Recommended for: people who like Piers Anthony or want a little mind-bending fantasy
Read in June, 2009

I didn't love this book, as I found it a little tedious at times. The characters were a little shallow and predictable. The premise is interesting enough, as most Piers Anthony books are. There are seven incarnations of immortality, and this book is about Norton/Chronos (the Incarnation of Time). The biggest twist is that Chronos lives backwards in time, so his time in office is a countdown from the time he took it to the time he was born. There is a tricky plot of Satan's that has to be undone, and that is relatively interesting. But the book gets off to a slow start as far as I'm concerned, with its 'ghost marriage' and the odd arrangement Norton gets caught up in. I think Anthony was really enamored of the idea and just went on about it too long. There were a few other parts that seemed to drag a lot for me, where it felt like a chore to get through. But if you're an Anthony fan, it's worth reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bearing An Hourglass.