Raga's Reviews > Track of the Cat

Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr

Jun 21, 2009

Track of the Cat was my introduction to Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon Mysteries. Anna left her NY life after her husband died, she wanted to leave it all behind and start fresh. Anna becomes a park ranger in the Guadalupe Mountains National Parks. On one of her designated park tours she notices vultures circling something, her curiosity leads her to that location where she finds one of her colleagues dead - supposedly killed by a mountain lion. Soon after another one of her colleagues is found dead and this time killed bitten by snakes. Anna of course suspects that these two deaths are not mere accidents but murders. Anna herself is a victim of an "fall accident". As Anna investigates the "accidents" she digs deep into the lives of her colleagues she finds out that there is more to them than what's on the surface. Barr takes us deep into the Guadalupe Mountains and the petty politics of National Parks. There are several underlying themes in this book such as environmental protection (habitat, fauna and flora) as well as farmer's/rancher's economic/land rights vs. protection of the environment.
Although the story was predictable I enjoyed reading the book. Nevada Barr is an excellent writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Track of the Cat.