Ryan's Reviews > The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine

819178
Jun 22, 09

Set in 1917, just as America is entering the war, in Alabama, Best Bad Luck follows the growth of a friendship between a young white boy - raised in the rural south, in a family of 10 - and a young black girl - raised in Boston, the only child of a black postal worker and former nurse. Its very much in the style of Lizzie and The Buckminster's Boy (Gary Schmidt)- sweet, sad and lovely. It also reminded me of the Wednesday Wars (also by Schmidt) with the idea of tragedy vs. comedy, in the Shakespearean sense. In both stories, you know the tragedies because you can see, feel, the inability of some characters to change - that their fate is really pre-destined. Others are open to ideas, even though they've not been exposed to many. Once presented with the opportunity, they seize it and are able to at least accept the possibility that their viewpoint isn't the only one.

They also plays baseball - its the one thing that is integrated in town. Dit LOVES baseball - he pitches, and owns one of the only real gloves in town. Emma is new to the idea of playing, but part of what they share is her discovery of baseball.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had.