Jessie's Reviews > Thirteen Steps Down

Thirteen Steps Down by Ruth Rendell

Oct 03, 09

Read in July, 2009

a book group selection. i'm not usually big on mysteries, but i'm determined to read with an open mind.

i've really tried with this book, for the sake of my book group discussion, but it is just awful. it reminds me of the movie b.t.k. that i watched recently which was most probably the worst thing i have ever seen. this is the book version of that situation. i simply can't get past the pathetic characters, the odd storylines or the contrived connections between characters. i don't recommend this book. i can't say for sure since i'm not one, but i can't even imagine that a person who likes mysteries would like 13 steps down; though in actuality it's more of a psychological thriller (allegedly anyway - i found it less than thrilling.) i'll probably suffer through finishing it so i can talk about it, but i certainly won't have anything nice to say about it. hopefully the next selection is better.

finally finished it & in time for book club. it never got any better. in fact, the contrived & bizarre ending culminated the entire bad experience. i was not alone, however, the rest of my club hated it too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Steps Down.

Kosana I hear you, I read this as well for my book club and found it a slog.