Patrick's Reviews > Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Aug 01, 09

Read in June, 2009

I just finished this book and it is absolutely wonderful. While I go out of my way to deride books about vampires, this book with a character who is a vampire is not a book about vampires. It is a story of a young boy who is growing up to young adulthood. Like many, he had to deal with being thought of as strange, bullied by some, and going through a parents' divorce.

The story is told simply but it is so magical. It is a fairy tale about two young persons' friendship and it is also a story about life, religion, faith, morality, whatever you want to look at it.

I would go as far to declare it as a novel of this 20th century modern work of art, post modern actually. It uses the themes of our century, the uncertainess of where we are really going from here. It is a novel version, a dark realistic fanasty of T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland, in which one of the conflicts of one's gender is called into play.

It is one of the best vampire book I ever read, up there with Bram Stroker's Dracula and Stephen King's Salemn's Lot. And it is a novel of lost childhood, of growing older and realizing things are not what they seemed to be. I am in awe of this writer, John Ajvide Lindqvist and looks forward to his future works.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Right One In.

message 1: by Girly (new) - added it

Girly I saw the movie a while back and really liked it. Can't wait to read the book.

message 2: by Patrick (last edited Aug 05, 2009 10:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patrick Yeah, I absolutely love that last scene in the movie with the comical and terrifying pool carnage. I love that background underwater shot of sneakered feet trailing the water backward, then the freshly decapitated head floating to the bottom. Then the bully's amputated hand dangling, still holding Oskar blissfully unaware by the hair.