Elizabeth McDonald's Reviews > The Land of the Silver Apples

The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer

Jun 20, 09

bookshelves: audiobook, childrens, fantasy, historical-fiction
Recommended for: those who have read The Sea of Trolls, obviously
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

I was delighted to find that The Sea of Trolls had a sequel, and that it was available at my local library! Though I quickly became engrossed in this book as well, sitting in the driveway with the car stereo still on so I could hear just a little more, I must say it doesn't quite live up to the first book. For one thing, I miss the hoards of Vikings - this installment focuses on different realms. Also - and this is a very mild spoiler - this is quite a "middle book" of what will become a trilogy in October. Don't expect neat resolutions to every small detail.

I do continue to appreciate Farmer's strong female characters. Girls are definitely not just around to be rescued here. On the other hand, they're still strong supporting characters to a male lead. This is hardly endemic to this book, however, and I can't blame Farmer any more than I can blame J. K. Rowling for writing about Harry instead of Harriet.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next (final?) book in this set, The Isles of the Blessed, and am glad I only need to wait until October.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land of the Silver Apples.

message 1: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Just saw your review after I replied to your comment, and I very much agree! I really missed the Vikings and was happy that Thorgil showed up again. Thorgil and Pega may technically be supporting characters, but they're smarter and funnier and much more useful than Jack. I don't really understand why they hang out with him.