Megha's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Jun 20, 09

bookshelves: reviews, didn-t-finish
Read in June, 2009

GR Giveaway.

Ok, I tried. I am not going to read this tripe any further.

From the first 50-ish pages that I did read, this books sounds somewhat like the show 'Sex and the City'. Rachel is part-Miranada - a not so good looking lawyer, and part-Charolette - miss goody two shoes who wants to find a husband and settle down. Darcy is part-Samantha, part-Carrie, she has good looks and has always managed to make the guy she liked fall for her and is now engaged to a guy she wants to marry. And just like the show, these two 30-yr. old women can't think or talk about anything beyond dating and men.
Both the main characters are annoying. Darcy is a shallow self-serving bitch and Rachel lacks a backbone. They have been best-friends since childhood. But their friendship doesn't seem credible at all. Darcy is self-centered and insensitive and has been running all over Rachel forever. Rachel has an inferiority complex and is jealous of her so-called best friend's charmed life....to them a good life being defined by the number of boyfriends they have had. I don't see why the two are friends at all. And Rachel is trying to use this jealousy as a reason to justify sleeping with her best friend's fiancee...
Ugh!

I finally put the book down at a point where Rachel is talking about how she had begun to dislike her boyfriend in college because he was rooting for Duke's basketball team and not Indiana.

And the writing is really nothing worth mentioning.

The book also contains a page suggesting questions for discussion, it seems the publishers expect the readers to ponder over this subject matter after reading the book...yeah, right!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben I hatediskinda shit. Glad you do too. Gottafightagainstit.

ya'heard?

Megha I wouldn't have touched something like this, but I won a free copy in a giveaway (I am embarrassed that I entered to win this one at all).
Anyway, I then quickly read some Borges to push this out of my mind, no harm done! :D

message 3: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu I'm glad you're finished with it, Megha. This looks awful.

Megha Matt wrote: "I'm glad you're finished with it, Megha. This looks awful."

So am I. :)
It is very rare for me to leave a book unfinished, but some books deserve such an exception.

Jaime Brooks And what's the title have to do with they awful story?.....

Megha Jaime wrote: "And what's the title have to do with they awful story?....."

I don't know for sure, since I didn't finish the book. But looks like the author has a series of books with titles 'Something Borrowed', 'Something Blue' and so on - the whole wedding fare, I believe.

message 7: by Miranda (new)

Miranda I agree, cant believe this book is so popular! And they even made a movie from it! I admit I read it to the end, wish i could get that time back haha. So ridiculously superficial.

Megha Miranda wrote: "I agree, cant believe this book is so popular! And they even made a movie from it! I admit I read it to the end, wish i could get that time back haha. So ridiculously superficial."

Oh there is a movie too! Now it will become even more popular.

message 9: by Nina (new) - rated it 1 star

Nina I was lent the book by an acquaintance a while ago and couldn't get past the first twenty pages, so good on you for having the tenacity (the stubbornness?) to actually finish it! And then a few months ago I was basically forced to watch the movie. I wanted to cry and drown myself in my own tears just to escape the awfulness of this storyline. I have been deflecting book suggestions from this same acquaintance ever since, deciding that if she thinks it's a must read, then I most definitely will hate it.

message 10: by Megha (new) - rated it 1 star

Megha Nina wrote: "I was lent the book by an acquaintance a while ago and couldn't get past the first twenty pages, so good on you for having the tenacity (the stubbornness?) to actually finish it! And then a few mon..."

Oh no, I didn't finish this. I couldn't. I barely made it to 50 pages.
I am sorry you had to sit through the movie.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve The fact that it was a freebie lessens the pain, but only a little. The time wasted was, by far, the greater cost.

BTW, I might have viewed the part where someone was criticized for liking Duke as a lone highlight. ;-)

message 12: by Megha (new) - rated it 1 star

Megha Steve wrote: "The fact that it was a freebie lessens the pain, but only a little. The time wasted was, by far, the greater cost."

That does lessen the pain. Also I dropped out before I had spent too much time on it. Not much damage done.

"BTW, I might have viewed the part where someone was criticized for liking Duke a..."

Being a Tar Heel, I wholeheartedly agree! :)

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve Haha, good on both counts!

Rahma Mohamed I really disagree with you, It's an amazing book, It is going better from chapter 7.... going on, I really love the movie so I decided to read the book saying the movie will be better always, I still love the movie so much but the book gave me more information like exciting details & the movie is the best description of that book as a movie. It couldn't be better the movie or the book

message 15: by Megha (new) - rated it 1 star

Megha Rahma wrote: "I really disagree with you, It's an amazing book, It is going better from chapter 7.... going on, I really love the movie so I decided to read the book saying the movie will be better always, I sti..."

This might be a good book for someone who likes reading this genre. It just happened to be completely out of my range of interests.

Rahma Mohamed At the end it's your choice, I really love this book... I hoped only you'll too if you read it but if it isn't your type then that's okay.

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Anyway, I then quickly read some Borges to push this out of mind, no harm done! :D

I haven't read this book at all, but I do like the idea of Borges as an emergency antidote for certain books. "Warning: If ingested, flush immediately with Labyrinths for 15 minutes. If symptoms persist, head for the nearest library. DO NOT HESITATE."

message 18: by Megha (new) - rated it 1 star

Megha Tim wrote: "Warning: If ingested, flush immediately with Labyrinths for 15 minutes. If symptoms persist, head for the nearest library. DO NOT HESITATE."

Hahaha. This antidote should be included with every 1 star book. Borges really does the trick.

Aditi I loved this plot, but the movie was quite better, you know those romantic cheesy chick-flicks!! :)

message 20: by Megha (last edited Aug 14, 2014 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Megha Aditi wrote: "I loved this plot, but the movie was quite better, you know those romantic cheesy chick-flicks!! :)"

I will probably be fine with movies like that, but don't have enough patience to read this stuff in books.