Elizabeth McDonald's Reviews > The Sea of Trolls

The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer

Jun 20, 09

bookshelves: audiobook, childrens, fantasy, historical-fiction
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Zach
Recommended for: fantasy lovers
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

I picked this up on audiobook after reading Zach's review, and I must say that I enjoyed it as much as I think I would have if I had found it when I was ten - which is to say, very much. It's on my imaginary list of "books that would be good to read aloud to my hypothetical offspring".

I am enchanted by Nancy Farmer's settings. Having previously tackled Zimbabwe in 2194, she now tries her hand at Saxon England and Scandinavia ca. 793. She mixes genuine history, authentic historical fiction, mythology, and fantasy in one well-crafted story (which, incidentally, piqued my interest in Norse mythology). Jack, a young Saxon boy, has recently become apprenticed to a bard, and things are looking up - when he and his sister, Lucy, are enslaved by Norse Berserkers. His adventures ultimately take him far from home, even to Jotunheim, the land of the trolls. This is one I definitely see myself re-reading. I'm reminded of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, from the coming-of-age adventure to the well-developed variety of characters to the fantastical world.

I have also "read" (i.e., listened to) the sequel, The Land of the Silver Apples.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Trolls.

♍ichael Ƒierce I like your review, especially the "books that would be good to read aloud to my hypothetical offspring" which I totally agree with and the reference to being reminded of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles. Very true also! You are a pretty darned good writer yourself!