lamarcus brown's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Aug 29, 13

Recommended for: all ages
Read in September, 2007

ok, I admit it. I'm a grown man (debatable) and I like Harry potter. However, I was like any other 'Mr. Macho' in the beginning thinking Harry potter Books are for children and maybe women.

It started off innocently enough, my wife and daughter were reading the books, they really enjoyed them so I bought the first movie for my daughter when it came out... then the second, third, and fourth movies. And I enjoyed them, but I still hadn't plunged to the humiliating level of actually reading the books.

Until that day, the day my daughter wanted to go swimming and I didn't. Feeling mightily compassionate and a little self sacrificing I grabbed the only book lying around at the time and sat at the side of the pool reading while my little princess played 'Dolphin'.

All that is unrelated to the Book of course, but it's the best I could do to express how good this book was. You see I avoided Harry potter, avoided the books, wrote the subject off as below me. Maybe it was fate or perhaps just a little luck, whatever the case may be I picked up a book I wasn't interested in and instead of a distraction while waiting for my daughter to become one with the dolphins I was sucked in, like spilled ink into Hermione’s wand, and engrossed with a wonderful story written by a brilliant author.

I’ve since read book 6 and started on 7; this series is good and it doesn’t matter if you’re too cool for magic or too manly for stories about children, you WILL enjoy this book. Don’t believe me? Pick one up and read 4 chapters and then see if you can put it down and forget about it.

Go ahead fellas, flame away… flame away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.