Sarah's Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Jan 07, 14

Read in June, 2009

Hester walked across the room. She stepped upon her left foot, her right foot, and then her left foot again. One wonders, why doth she, in this instance of walking across the room, begin her journey upon the left foot and not the right? Could it be her terrible sin, that the devil informeth the left foot just as he informeth the left hand and those bewitched, left-handed persons amongst us? Why, forsooth, doth the left foot of sin draggeth the innocent right foot along its wretched journey from one side of the room to the other? She walked across the room, I tell you! Guilty feet hath got no rhythm...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.

message 1: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna Your post actually made me start laughing outloud. I was that person sitting at the computer, laughing, while everyone turned to look at me. Brilliant. you are brilliant. I wish the book was too.

Sarah Thank you, Jenna. You look like Natalie Portman. :)

Joanna Great review!

Sarah Thank you.

message 5: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan Wonderful.

Jazzmyn HAHA! that is the most amazing comment i have ever read about the scarlet letter.epic win

✿ Deni brilliant review! :o)

Cate this is the best review of this stupid book ever! lol :)

Selina This review is more entertaining than the book. :)

message 10: by Ali (new)

Ali Alawi and i thought i am an obsessive and compulsive OCD guy LOL

message 11: by Myra (new) - rated it 2 stars

Myra I agree with Selina, I wish this book was as enjoyable as your review.

Kirsten Rodning Well done. :)

Michael Haha I actually really liked the book. But I also liked this review...

Grace so true.

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah Hey! I have 100 likes on this! This is the proudest moment of my life.

Yup. My whole life. And this is the proudest...

*sigh*

Melee Sarah wrote: "Hey! I have 100 likes on this! This the proudest moment of my life.

Yup. My whole life. And this is the proudest...

*sigh*"

Hahaha - 101 now!

*pats* It's okay; I don't even have a proudest moment of my life. :)

Sarah Dammit, Melee! Now I need 99 more. ;)

Melee Sarah wrote: "Dammit, Melee! Now I need 99 more. ;)"

Hahaha! Sorry about that, Sarah. Or should I say Monk? ;)

Aaron I actually liked the book, but I have to say that this is pretty damn funny. :DD Hawthorne does delve into purple prose a lot...

Tinkalanashai omg - genius!

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo I really enjoyed the book, but your review is soooo funny :)Kudos

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim Your review made my day. :)

message 23: by Krupa (new) - rated it 1 star

Krupa hahaha

Colleen what a completely accurate review! it even left me wondering why indeed did she use the left foot first?

Sarah :)

message 26: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle So perfect.

message 27: by Bec (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bec Perfect!

Katie You are amazing.

message 29: by Tai (new) - added it

Tai I'm powering through The Scarlet Letter now, and this perfectly parodies my anguish. What an excellent comment. :)

message 30: by Xena (new) - added it

Xena GREAT REVIEW, much more interesting than the book..

Laini I rarely LOL, but I did at your review. It's been years since I had to brave my way through this for Junior Honors English, but your review sums it up well. :)

Lynne Norman I quite enjoyed the book, but I still laughed aloud at your review as it sums up perfectly why it took me two weeks to read such a short novel!

Emperador Spock Brilliant and spot-on!

message 34: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose Haha, I didn't dislike the book, but this is pretty accurate!

Danielle Best. Review. Ever.

Matthew Dalzell Suggestion: why read such a book to completion when it was considered a drag? Moreover, why come here and rant like a belligerent toddler? Seems to me that the whole matter would have been solved if you had put the book down after the first chapter. Who is really at fault here: Hawthorne for writing it the way he did...or you for continuing to read that which pained you? 'Twould seem as though the fault layeth in thine own lap.

Danielle Matthew, most of the people complaining about the book on this site had to read the book for school. We were, for lack of a better term, FORCED to read the book to completion. After that, whether we liked it or not, we had to listen to the teacher beat into our heads what a wonderful book it was. As if that wasn't enough, we must rest in the knowledge that should we ever have children, they will probably be forced to read this book too, if we send them to a public high school. Complaining about this book on Goodreads is one of the few ways we can feel as though justice has been served. 'Twould seem thou didst not consider all the factors that were laying right at thine feet. Judge not lest ye be judged; with the measure you use it will be measured against you.

To fulfill the latter part of that verse, I now leave the thread open to traumatized high school students who wish to flame Matthew's myopic comment. Flame away, high schoolers.

Danielle Also, if this book can't stand on its own merits--if it needs you to come to GR and defend it--then it's probably not that great. Just sayin'.

message 39: by Matthew (last edited Feb 11, 2013 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Dalzell Ah, so because you were forced to read it, you decided to come on here and offer childish complaints? Sounds like the proverbial revenge of the embittered high-school/college students against the wishes of their teachers ;)

Also, with the completion of such past assignments, why does anyone have to come on GR simply to gripe about it? Not liking a class assignment is no provocation to rail against it later in life. So yes, the book does need to be defended, if not only to be rescued from silly, petty frustrations. Were Hawthorne alive today, he would most certainly speak in the vernacular; however, he lived over 140 years ago, so to complain is shortsighted. Prov. 22:28 btw.

Emperador Spock 'Ah, so because you were forced to read it, you decided to come on here and offer childish complaints? Sounds like the proverbial revenge of the embittered high-school/college students against the wishes of their teachers ;)'

Yeah, and when a mugger forces you to hand over your wallet, you won't bother the police with your childish complaints, will you?

It is not a matter of anyone's being forced into anything (even though it pains me to find out that some people actually are made to read this overrated tripe).

It's Hawthorne's noisy, diarrhoeic style of writing — not just in the SL — that duly deserves criticism. Your liking his works (somewhat unsurprisingly, given the bible reference, you apparently have a penchant for overblown and vapid shite) does not make it better, and does not provide you with a pedestal to arrogantly wag your finger at us from.

message 41: by Matthew (last edited Feb 12, 2013 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Dalzell I can think of something even better here: instead of playing Call of Duty, AND instead of bewailing the text of SL, why not read it and gain what can be gained from it?

Getting back to the real issue here, making complaints about older language is anachronistic because it is judging a piece of writing by an unfair set of standards. Were people from the past to come alive suddenly and judge the way in which we speak and write today, I doubt very much that they would understand it any better than we understand their ways of speaking and writing. However, if a reader decides to put aside the difficulties of the language gap, a wealth of knowledge opens up to him/her.

It amazes me that readers would allow a device, i.e., period diction, to stop them from enjoying and/or finding meaning from something. No one here has yet explained Hawthorne's reason for doing so: he was adding to the mystique and verity of the book by writing in English to evoke the Puritan period in American history. Such an undertaking is intellectually admirable and causes the book to ascend a whole new level of meaning.

Sarah Er, I'm 34. I wasn't forced to read this! I read it because it's a classic and I wanted to familiarize myself with the reference.

And I don't particularly mind Middle English. This book takes itself way too seriously, in my opinion. I didn't want to encourage it. But if you take a look at some of my other reviews, you'll see that most of them are serious.

Danielle Translation of Matthew's responses: "SL IS THE BEST BOOK EVUR AND UR ALL DUMMEES 4 NOT LIKING IT!!

"Also, I'm better than you. I just sprained my arm patting myself on the back for liking SL."

Sarah Oh, don't worry about it, Nena! You said, "if she's a youth." And, anyway, I've got nothing against teenagers. ;)

That's a pretty name, by the way.

Daniel Well I

Crystal Haha. Great review. There were entirely too many words in this book.

Hadjer Lol ,( though I liked the book ), xDDDD

Dasha Lol! Ur post is heck a funny

message 49: by Sarrah (new)

Sarrah Lahorewala Haha! Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Cecilia W Yu actually mathew going on and on telling womyn how we should or should not like this book reminds me of those badly dressed puritan witch hunting losers blokes in the book....woo...who says history does not repeat itself? why are guys so frightened of a witty lady with humour????? Is it because the devil told you she iszlaughing at you????? Haha.

take a note from the Dalai Lama....a monk but not a witchhunter....humour and laughter Is thecultimate realisation of compassion.

I enjoyed this review and Careless Whispers. lol.

www.ceciliayu.com