Manny's Reviews > Fröken Julie

Fröken Julie by August Strindberg

Jun 20, 09

bookshelves: swedish-norwegian-and-danish
Read in January, 1982

Boy meets girl, boy seduces girl, boy plans to elope with girl, boy wrings girl's pet bird's neck, boy changes his mind, girl kills herself. For some reason, Hollywood have never wholeheartedly embraced this formula. I can't imagine why not.

My late grandmother-in-law was an amazing, larger-than-life character, who looked as though she'd stepped straight out of Fanny och Alexander. Her family was distantly related to that of Strindberg's first wife, and, until the day she died, she steadfastly refused to read any of his books, "because he behaved so badly towards poor Siri von Essen". Harriet was born in 1899, when von Essen was 48. I'm not sure if they ever met. I wish I'd asked her!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fröken Julie.

Leajk I think your grandmother-in-law made the right decision! I really wish Strindberg wasn't obligatory reading in Swedish schools, so much time wasted.

Manny Ah, come on. Even if you disagree with his take on women, he can certainly write.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Schirmer I learned of Strindberg as a high schooler here in the States from the ending of FoA. I ran to a used bookstore and promptly devoured "A Dream Play" and this one. Have you read "The People of Hemsö"?? Sue Prideaux wrote a fantastic English language bio last year that tells all about Siri, sheds much light on his creative process, and details his scientific experimenting, among other things. Whatta guy!

Manny No, I still haven't read Hemsöborna! I really should do that some time. The Prideaux book sounds interesting, thanks :)

Leajk Well, I was mostly joking since I found the story about the grandmother quite funny, I'm totally going to have honorary reading principles like that when I'm 80!

On the other hand I still haven't read anything by his that I've liked yet, and I've given him three chances, so I can't agree that he can really write. I know everyone says that Hemsöborna is supposed to be really good, so perhaps that'll be his last chance.