Apzmarshl's Reviews > When Zachary Beaver Came to Town

When Zachary Beaver Came to Town by Kimberly Willis Holt

Jun 19, 09

Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

I'm kind of wishy washy between a 2 and 3 star. Decent book just not all it was cracked up to be. I would not have guessed this was an award winning book if I had not already known.

I think the book probably wanted to delve into the don't judge by looks alone sort of thing. It didn't really hit it hard enough to say that was a main theme.

Toby's family was messed up and he spent much of his time wanting to be part of his best friend Cal's family. Toby's mom abandons him under the guise of traveling to Nashville for a singing contest. She never comes back because......surprise, basically she wants to find herself and have more adventure. Not cool. This issue is totally glossed over. Toby has a raging crush on town hottie Scarlet. She thinks he is nice. He helps her make up with her boyfriend. What? And he makes friends with Zachary Beaver 'fattest boy in the world' even though Zachary isn't kind and lies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.