Dufour's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Time of Your Life

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss Whedon

Jun 24, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels

I may need to reread this volume again to see if I missed something, but it seems to me that Whedon totally dropped the ball on this episode of BUFFY SEASON 8. What should have been an awesome story -- Buffy's crossover into the world of Whedon's first comic work, FRAY -- is poorly executed, poorly explained, and nonsensical plotwise.

The overall goal of the story seems to show a dark future for Willow and a foreboding sense that the Slayer Army will ultimately fade away. But there's no tension in this. I could have done with much more interaction between Buffy and Fray. There was a host of additional story opportunities Whedon could have taken, and I'm stupefied why he took this particular one. Maybe it will become more apparent as the season unfolds, but this is definitely NOT up to the standards set on this series by BUFFY writers Jane Espenson and Drew Goddard.

The backup "B-story" of an attack on the Slayer castle unfolds with some trademark Whedon humor and a slight progression of the Twilight story, but it suffers from problems with the art. There is a reveal of a particular character who is some double agent servant of Twilight's, but because of the art I can't tell who it is. Is it supposed to be Riley? Andrew? Somebody else? I dunno. Which is a shame, because most of Moline's and Jeanty's art through the rest of the volume is top-notch.

The volume caps out with a fun "dream story" by Jeph Loeb that takes on the flavor of the aborted BUFFY animated series. In fun animated series art from Jeanty, Buffy relives her "Year One" life (this time cleverly populated by retconned Dawn). It's a lot of fun revisiting this period in Buffy's life, particularly in the cartoony art. I wouldn't mind reading more of such fare if they were able to continue the quality.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

06/06 marked as: read

Allison (Crazy Something Maybe Reviews) I finished this severely confused. I'm glad someone else felt the same way.