Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Reviews > City of Thieves

2026178
Mar 18, 10

bookshelves: 5-star-reads
Read from March 13 to 17, 2010

A story that combines excellent characterization and a suspenseful plot. Not too many characters in this one, which gave the author the ability to nearly fully develop the two main characters. The author was able to capture the terror of war, yet was able to offset this terror with some humor. The main characters are young men, Kolya and Lev. I have seen this described as a coming of age story. I don't know what that is - the path to maturity being neither straight nor common. It is a story of friendship, and certainly Lev, particularly, learns more about life and himself. I'm not sure it makes a full 5 stars, but to say that it is only 4 stars would be unfair.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Thieves.

Shelley I'm glad you liked it Elizabeth. This book has been sitting on my bedside table for so long, I'm beginning to feel sorry for it. Something about the cover design is holding me back. Not that it is alone - there are about 20 others there too.

Elizabeth (Alaska) When the time is right, you'll pick it up Shelley. And I suspect when the time is right, you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee I've been dithering about this one too. Thanks for the review Elizabeth.

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria I like your review very much -- I put myself in a quandary sometimes with these stars. Sounds like a 4 and a half!

Laura You were so right about this book. I'm finding it nearly impossible to put down. It is amazing.