Tei's Reviews > Where We Stand: Class Matters

Where We Stand by Bell Hooks

F_50x66
Jun 19, 09

Read in June, 2009

I learned what I already knew. If people were not so greedy and wouldn't mind sharing the wealth, we would have far less homeless people in this country. But interestingly, our society is so media-saturated, that some of the homeless desire the same things as the wealthy: a bunch of stuff. The book promoted an attitude of understanding towards the poor and that people need to look deeper into how a homeless person percieves your leftover food. Yes, it's something but at the same time, it can be taken as demeaning. That's no reason to blame a homeless person. It helped redirect how I look at and spend money. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make more money; it's the idea that I need more money that causes a problem. Many Americans (I am specific to the country that I live in) live outside there means, even the rich. Others just hoard their money. What does Oprah, Jay-Z, Beyonce, a professional atlete without a family really need with billions of dollars? At some point, you can't spend it. Do you really need to own a jet? Is a $20,000 purse that depreciates in value really necessary? But, what are the chances that people will really care? Slim to none, I believe.

My only annoyance with the book is that bell hooks constantly reminds the reader of her upper-class status. Yes, it's great that she worked her way up from a working-class background to the upper-class, but after the seventh time, we readers get the point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where We Stand.