Clare's Reviews > Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth

Payback by Margaret Atwood

Jun 19, 2009

EXCELLENT. Margaret Atwood trained as an anthropologist (I think) and her education comes through in this short and very readable treatise of sorts. I noticed my copy was due back in the library in two days, and I only wish I'd had more time to digest it. She divides her book into 5 chapters: Ancient Balances (the Egyptians, the Greeks and Romans, on debt); Debt and Sin (debt and its religious force and significance - did you know that debt and sin are the same word in Aramaic?); Debt as Plot (see most 19th century novels - plus a discussion of the Debtor/Creditor relationship, the Creditor as the Devil, unbridled capitalism galore!); The Shadow Side (REVENGE, + another look at The Merchant of Venice - the bit about loans, about Jews charging interest on loans while Christians were forbidden this practice - this went over my head when I read it in high school); and finally Payback - Nature's revenge, in which Atwood freaks the sh*t out of her reader by reminding her again of the dangers of global warming, monoagricultural practices, overpopulation, etc. etc. This includes the discovery of a 1972 L.A. Times article Atwood's mother clipped and saved in which scientists/economists predict the global economy will collapse by 2042 if growth is left unchecked. Atwood concludes with the familiar conclusion that we are all in debt and owe somebody - or, more forcefully, we owe the planet - our respect and our due. This review just skims the surface of Payback; and while much of Payback is summary, a skip through millenia and many great works of literature, Atwood really nails it. I've never been so compelled by any (actually, that's a lie - I mean most) of her other work. Really timely, too!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Payback.