Ivy's Reviews > Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir

Me and My Shadows by Lorna Luft

Jun 19, 09

bookshelves: history-biography-memoirs-nonfictio
Read in June, 2001

I think it takes a lot of courage to write a book about your own life especially when you come from a family of celebrities. Lorna Luft is getting the same flack that Christina Crawford got because she wrote about her experiences and people don't like that because it means having to see their idols as human and not as the Hollywood gods or godesses they prefer.
This book made me laugh and cry, and it made me angry too, but not because she "badmouths" her mother. It made me angry to see a beautiful, talented, woman like Judy Garland, give in to the addiction that took her life. But just as Lorna said, "Judy led a happy life regardless of what others may believe."

As for name dropping, it's a silly phrase. If your are raised in a celebrity family and live among celebrities, who are your friends going to be? You have to write about your experiences and that is just what Ms. Luft is doing. Let's remember that this is her point of view. People can argue and disagree over her motives but in the end it's still her point of view.

The book has many beautiful family photos and is very well written. Congratulations to Lorna Luft for writing such a wonderful history about her family and not shying away from the grim, sometimes tragic, aspects. It is a life filled with all the colors just like everybody else's--only she lived it in the spotlight.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and My Shadows.