Kathy's Reviews > The Random House Book of Humor for Children

The Random House Book of Humor for Children by Pamela D. Pollack

Jun 18, 2009

Read this with my 9yo at the bus stop this year. It's an amazing compilation of chapters and stories from some of the funniest and best quality kid's books ever. It introduced Danny to many authors I already knew like E. Nesbit, Betty MacDonald, Beverly Cleary, Robert MacCloskey, Edward Eager, Roald Dahl, Mark Twain, James Thurber, T.H. White, and Rudyard Kipling. It's a great book for a child to get a taste of some fabulous authors and seeing which ones you want to read more of.

I loved that in the back of the book there was a list of the books the excerpts came from so when something tickles you, you can find the book. I also met some new authors: Saki, and Shirley Jackson. I'm currently reading the complete works of Saki. Way above Danny's head, but he has short stories with the satire of Thurber and the surprise endings of O. Henry.

If your child has a funny bone and loves to read, this book is amazing. Would be a great gift book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Random House Book of Humor for Children.