Cathleen's Reviews > The Marriage Bureau for Rich People

The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama

Jun 22, 09

bookshelves: multi-cultural
Read in June, 2009

A charming village story, one that hits the right notes of character and setting. No big surprises, but the experience is so engaging I can't imagine any real complaints. A sincere recommendation.

Marriage is a most sacred relation...Remember the verse in the Quran: Your wives are a garment to you as you are a garment to them. The garment is worn next to our bodies; so should a husband and wife be. Just as a garment hides our nakedness and defects, so should the husband and wife keep each other's secrets from the rest of the world. Just as clothes provide comfort in inclement weather, a wife and husband should comfort each other against the trials of the world. Just as clothes add beauty and grace to our looks, so does a wife to her husband and a husband to his wife. (p.197)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Bureau for Rich People.

Sarina Great quote! However, I personally wouldn't call the book a "village" story because it's not about village life. I feel as though this is an important distinction to make, because I believe that when many think of India they think of rural areas, mud huts and extreme poverty. But this book presents an accurate view of what life is like for the modern Indian in urban areas--a life that not many Western people know is common in India.

Cathleen Thank you for that distinction! I hadn't realized my comment would likely be understood that way. By "village story", I meant that the narrative is more focused on a variety of characters and their developments, rather than being plot-driven. In that vein, even a story set in a New York City apartment building might be termed a village story. You are absolutely right, though, and I will more carefully choose my words.