John's Reviews > C'est La Folie

C'est La Folie by Michael Wright

Mar 12, 10

bookshelves: bio-and-memoir
Read in March, 2010

I really wanted to dislike this book: it's written in the first person present tense, with details of animal husbandry and home renovation aplenty - yawn. Now that I've finished, I'd call it a darned good read (perhaps just a tad long).

Strongest point would be his self-effacing humor, always at just the right level, and not overworked in quantity. Wright does come across as a bit of an overachiever (with his piloting, piano playing, etc.), but that's just who he is I finally decided. French locals are distinctive, without being cartoonish, though he's a bit tough on other ex-pat Brits - I found his forcing them to struggle with speaking French in asking for directions and such a bit mean.

Definitely recommended, as it's well-written and funny - I'm giving it somewhat lower stars than it may have deserved as I just couldn't identify with the author, especially the animal husbandry episodes, which dragged for me a bit at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read C'est La Folie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I wonder if his house is in Brittany or if only his sheep are Breton!

John His house is described as being "in the 'heart of rural France' ", which doesn't seem like Brittany to me.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie You have a point there. Sure there are tons of rural spots in Brittany, but one wouldn't put it that way. I hope it is not a Mayle type book. Someone said it was not that. Another reviewer that there are numerous bits about his animals. If you read it before me please mention where it takes place in France. I love Brittany best.