Kate Hyde's Reviews > Building Stronger Marriages and Families: Making Your House a Home

Building Stronger Marriages and Families by Billy Joe Daugherty

Jun 18, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: marriage, parenting
Read in July, 2009 — I own a copy

This book means well. It's a lot of very small chapters (most are 2-4 pages long) talking about different aspects of Christian family life. Most of the chapters are about marriage, with several thrown in about raising kids. The problem is, it's all too vague. The author seems so interested in including so many different issues that he fails to really get me interested in any of them. For example, here's an excerpt from a chapter titled "Tearing Down the Barriers":

"Our Bible Fellowship pastors, Jerry and Lynn Popenhagen, knocked on the door of a young couple's apartment and loved them out of 29 straight weeks of cocaine addiction. Love drove it out."

While that's a great example of tearing down barriers with love, I would have loved to hear just how these pastors did it. But there are no other details.

On the positive side, there were some great explanations of scripture references. I particularly liked the chapter "Framing Your Child With the Word of God."

But I found myself putting down this book for days at a time because I was so bored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Stronger Marriages and Families.