Melody's Reviews > Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze

Spiderweb for Two by Elizabeth Enright

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: favorites, comfort-read
Read in July, 2011, read count: 3

07/11 I am growing to love this one as much as I love the rest of the Melendy series. Why, I wonder, did I snub it so firmly in my youth? Here's a quote that I adore from this one:

"The truth was that the young Melendys were acquiring a taste for old cemeteries. There was something very peaceful, they thought, about the quiet places; the tilted stones patched with lichens, standing in a bee-humming tangle of myrtle and wild asters. It was pleasant to walk between the stones, tracing the half-eroded names, the epitaphs, some beautiful, some sadly funny, some grotesque."

I love that we get to spend more time with Father in this book. His goofy humor really shines. And I love the story from Cuffy's youth! Enright's characters are so very real.

01/10 I remember only bits and pieces of this, I must have read it only once or twice. It's certainly not part of what I think of as the canon.

First off, boarding school? Boarding school? The sheer dissonance is overwhelming from the first. But once one gets past that, it's a delight. Any Melendy book is better than no Melendy book, even if Rush and Mark and Mona are reduced to walk-on characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spiderweb for Two.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Yes, I snubbed this one as well. So maybe I'll give it another try. I think I missed the older 3 kids so much that this book never had a chance.