Cara's Reviews > It's Complicated: The American Teenager

Jun 20, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: all American teenagers
Read in June, 2009

It's complicated. Very fitting words for this book. It really is complicated and interesting. When I say interesting I mean it; I promise I'm not using it as a placeholder.

Some of the teenagers were shallow, some were deep. Some I liked, some I hated. Some still believed in the American dreams, some thought it was dead. Some were cynical, some were hopeful. Some were rich, some were poor. Some were mature, some were immature. Some gave teens a bad rep, some helped teens look intelligent. In conclusion the whole thing was diverse and showed a fairly close representation of the teens of America.

While I was reading it I could tell there was a lot of work put into this. From the questions, to the style of pictures. I know some people didn't care for the style but I liked it. Using only black and white represented that even though all the individuals were different they still were equal in a sense. All their stories were important regardless if you could connect with them or not.

I would have liked to have seen how the photographer meet the teens and what the teens were doing at the time when she took their pictures. One of the problems I had with this book was that I felt like some people came off worse on paper than they actually were. She wrote word for word what they said so it's hard to tell what expressions they had. A documentary could have captured that. Bowman did the best she could to give a fair representation of everyone, but I still think some teens didn't get a lot of coverage. It's understandable though, there is only so many people she could hunt down. Other than that though this was done well. It showed the truth of what young America is like. It's complicated but not necessarily in a bad way. Our diversity is what makes us strong.

Oh yeah be forewarned there is a nudist among the photos on page...81. I had a handful of favorites but my ultimate favorite person was on page 84.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Complicated.

06/18/2009 page 1
0.63% "Filled with striking pictures. I think I'm gonna really enjoy it:)"
06/19/2009 page 134
83.75% "I'm learning there is WAY too much divorce. It's pretty much the norm. I like some of the teenagers and hate the others. Typical I guess."
show 1 hidden update…