Audreesh's Reviews > The House of God

The House of God by Samuel Shem

U 50x66
Jun 18, 2009

I read this book back in high school and I read it a second time after finishing residency and fellowship. It's definitely dated but still as good a memoir of internship I have read. Even though it is quite sexist and not incredibly well written, it still somehow manages to capture the essence of that intern year, the overwork, fatigue and emotional strain, how it can change an idealistic medical school grad who wants to treat and help patients into a burned out cynic. It also shows the moments of humor and humanity during that year, and how you learn to survive. I've heard it referred to as the 'hidden curriculum' of residency, the practice of medicine and survival skills that you learn in place of or in addition to the explicit, academic curriculum. Definitely brought back some of the memories of residency, blocking the ED admits, treating and streeting, and many of the other good and not so good times. Don't know if it's still relevant what with all the work hour changes but even after all these years it has a lot to tell us about medical education.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of God.