Jess's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Feb 05, 14

Read from January 15 to February 05, 2014

I really ought to know better than to read the reviews of a book I enjoyed well enough to read again. It's staggering, the number of people who one starred this book (or any other, for that matter), based not on the merits of the book itself but the behavior of the author. Yes, Card is misogynistic & homophobic. That doesn't change the fact that he can write one helluva story. I'm not interested in his crazy outdated opinions--I am interested in his books. (Besides, if I boycotted every author/artist/musician who I happened to disagree with on a personal level, that really doesn't leave much left to enjoy.)

ANYHOOZLE. This book. It definitely deserves its place on "must read" sci fi lists alongside Foundation & The Time Machine & such. The best ones that put humanity under a microscope & question it. Ender has been brought up to fear & hate the aliens that attacked the Earth. Actually, that's why he exists at all--to one day fight them. And fight them he does. But it's hard to fight an enemy they know next to nothing about. So...if humans know next to nothing about these guys, why are they bent on destroying them? And why are they using children to fight this war? That's really depraved. Thank heavens nothing like that ever happens in real life. Oh...wait. IT DOES. Why? Is there a better way of conducting ourselves to avoid such horribleness? Perhaps it's with better attempts at communication with those around us, as this novel suggests.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

01/15 marked as: currently-reading
02/05 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah Oldham Best review EVER!!

Jess Sarah wrote: "Best review EVER!!"

Thanks!!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jess Shelley wrote: "Love your reviews, Jessica. Yes, it's never a good idea to judge the art by the artist."

Awww, thanks, Shelley! I was just going to leave it at my four star rating (because honestly, what could be said about this book that hasn't already?) but the trolls changed my mind.