L's Reviews > Careless in Red

Careless in Red by Elizabeth  George

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: mystery, future-kindle-no-mildew
Read in June, 2009

Isn't Elizabeth George terrific?! I love her books and just wish she's crank them out more regularly and quickly. It isn't as if the woman isn't productive, either. It's just that fans want more, always more. Of course then they wouldn't be the same books, would they?

Here we have DS Lynley mourning the loss of his wife. Lynley takes mourning very, very seriously. He's been wandering the coast of Cornwall for weeks, living rough and not especially well. Just walking. Naturally he finds a body. It seems a young climber has fallen from a cliff. Accident? Or something else? Well, this is Elizabeth George, so you can guess.

The local police range from the cold, hard Bea Hannaford to her bumbling officers. There are too few investigators with too little experience, and Hannaford's unwillingness to listen to what anyone has to say does not help matters.

There are many plot lines, but George keeps them from tangling up, so a reader is intrigued rather than lost; such is her skill with plot. And this is a great mystery. Of course she sends a reader off on false leads, convincing false leads. And even though you know that at least some of them must be false, they are part of such a rich story that you almost forget that basic of mystery fiction. This is a feast of friendship, relationship, family, small town, and emotional intrigues.

As for character, this might be her best yet. George really gets a reader inside the heads of her characters in a way few can; such is her art. Perhaps the best example of this is early on, while Lynley is walking the coast and as he slowly, very slowly, emerges into the world. Here George manages to convey that he is so lost in grief as to be barely there inside his head. It's an amazingly eloquent bit of writing.

Someone just liked this review, leading me to reread it. This reminded me of how much I liked the book. Now I must re-read the book.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Careless in Red.