Sarah's Reviews > Meyebela: My Bengali Girlhood

Meyebela by Taslima Nasrin

Sep 10, 2007

bookshelves: memoirs
Read in November, 2007

I thought this book was very well done. While somewhat depressing (aren't all memiors?), Nasrin's discussion of gender discrimination issues and household dynamics was a powerful reminder of some of the social issues that were most difficult for me to adjust to during my time in Bangladesh. Likewise, her descriptions of Bangladeshi food and evenings spent languishing on rooftops left me anxious to go visit again soon.

I finished reading this book just as the first reports of the destruction left by Cyclone Sidr started to come in. As you may have heard, a devastating storm struck Bangladesh Nov 15th, leaving 3,100 people dead and over three million people displaced from their homes. The Economist reports that the ultimate death toll from Cyclone Sidr is likely to rise as high as 10,000.

Our friends in Bangladesh report that Save the Children is on the ground and doing good work. You can read more about their work in Bangladesh and find out how to make a contribution here:

Save the Children has a Four Star rating from Charity Navigator and spends an impressive 90% of its funding on program services, so you can feel confident that your donation is in good hands. Apologies for the fundraising pitch but I hope you'll consider making a small contribution to the relief efforts.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meyebela.