Jenben8426's Reviews > Spirited

F 50x66
Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in August, 2009

Another book by Holder and another mixed review for her. First the negative: I'm actually a little surprised that there are two retellings of Beauty and the Beast in this series. Perhaps this one tended to not follow the "original" so much they decided to do another one, who knows. Again in her notes Holder says that her inspiration came from the Last of the Mohicans. I'm bothered that she doesn't just write her own book. I realize that this is a retelling of an original--Beauty and the Beast, but all the other authors in the series tend to come up with their own story. I was also disappointed that she was trying to do somewhat of a historical novel but then put in some pretty interesting things like demons, little pixie people, magical caves, and a new world in the afterlife that people could live in without completely dying. I could shrug off most of it because the "Beast" was a medicine man/shaman and I'm sure that Indian beliefs perhaps encompassed some of these things.

And now the positive. I found myself wanting to finish it and stayed up late to do so. I thought it had excellent points on the dangers of prejudice and judgment from both sides of the spectrum (of course more so from the British). The culture of the Indian villages was quite well set up and it was interesting to read. I also liked the idea of a Beauty and the Beast set in the early colonial Americans between a lady and an Indian--that was definitely unique.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirited.