Holyn's Reviews > Witchlight

Witchlight by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Jun 18, 2009

liked it
Read in June, 2009

I love Marion Zimmer Bradley's writing but have never read her books outside of those associated with the Mists of Avalon series. So this novel was my first foray into her general fantasy fiction.

It was a strange ride, although I did read the entire book in one day as I had to find out what happens. This is a sort of mystery novel with a sci-fi/fantasy twist. The main character, Winter (I have to say the names in this novel were a little like something out of a bad renaissance fair. Everytime a new character was introduced I rolled my eyes.) awakens to find herself in an unfamiliar house where strange things keep happening and no memory of her life except that she checked herself into - and out of - an insane asylum. The book then follows her path as she attempts to discover what or who is causing the horrible events (dead animals on her doorsteps, doors being left open, electrical systems exploding) as well as what has happened in her past to cause such a dramatic memory loss.

As with all of Bradley's novels this is well written and entertaining. Unfortunately it did not convince me that I wanted to continue to branch out into her other forms of fantasy writing. Perhaps it is a fault in myself that I am comparing this book to the Avalon series rather than allowing it to stand on its own, but I think I will float in Avalon just a bit longer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchlight.

11/21/2016 marked as: read

Maggie I totally agree with your review, and wish I had written as clearly in my own comments. I read the first two books in this series when I was off work unwell for a few days; it seemed to suit that type of reading. But I'll be hurrying back to MZB's Avalon books as fast as possible.