Janine Kelly's Reviews > Antony and Cleopatra

Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare

F_50x66
Jun 18, 09

Read in October, 2008

This play was filled with memorable moments and quotes; particularly the more comedic scenes and lines often fufilled by Cleopatra. I enjoyed the contrasts within the play such as that of Shakespeare's portrayals of Rome and Eqypt and with this the people of Rome and Egypt and their ways of life. The perfect example of this is the ever changing character of Antony who at times seeks to fufill his title of great warrior whilst at others is merely something of hedonistic love, under the control of "strumpet" Cleopatra and looking to fill his evenings with wandering the streets of Alexandria and drinking alcohol.

My favourite element of the play however is Shakespeare's depiction of Cleopatra. Although she is criticised throught often by the Romans and in particulary Caesar she is ultimately seen to be a tragic heroine.

I would love to see this play performed. I've watched a DVD adaption of it however was a bit disappointed, mostly by the casting of the characters who were completely different from what I would have expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Antony and Cleopatra.