Cathy 's Reviews > Shekhina

Shekhina by Leonard Nimoy

Jun 17, 09

bookshelves: photography, non-fiction, coffe-table, read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

This is Nimoy's first published book of photographs. Having studied Jewish culture and history, I was familiar with the idea of Shekhina. I think this may have given me an extra layer of appreciation for what Nimoy was trying to accomplish here. Despite a good introduction, I wondered if the impact would be felt as much by those unfamiliar with the story.

Overall, many of the pictures are lovely. Quite a few others seem to miss the mark. He uses some techniques such as soft focus and imperfections on the photos than occasionally enhance but often overly distract. I felt a power and magic, derived from his emotions about women and his religion. He did capture something that resonated within my feelings about the myth, again imperfectly and somewhat awkwardly.

It's an interesting book. Perhaps not a keeper, but I would easily recommend at least borrowing it from the library or going through it with a cup of tea or coffee at your local book store. Although it may take a photography buff or an artist a while to absorb, for most it will be a short session, but well worth it. If only to satisfy your curiosity about what his work will be like! That's why I got it, after all. I heard him mention his photography books during interviews for the Star Trek movie release this spring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shekhina.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Jon (last edited Jun 18, 2009 04:05AM) (new)

Jon Wonderful review Catherine. And a great way to wake up this morning. Sort of a blessing to me as I made two raisin challah's for a friend last night and I'm delivering them to her this morning.

For those who would like more information about Shekhinah, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah

And the raisin challah recipe is here: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

Have a great day!

Cathy Thanks, Jon! Your message is a blessing right back. Raisin Challah will always make me think of my mom. Once my brother and I went off to college, she would send us a big round raisin challah from our favorite bakery for Rosh Hashanah evey year. She'll be gone 10 years in November, so memories like this are treasured. Thanks for the smiles, and the great links.

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly  Maybedog Oh, Jon, why don't you live in Seattle? You could make me some challah and I would love you forever! (Not that I don't already love you forever.)

I agree it's a great review, Catherine. I am excited about this book and the full figured body one. I can't wait to get them from the library. But I was bad and lost a book so I have to pay them money before I can have any more books. Poor me.

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly  Maybedog I'm sorry about your mom, Catherine. I'm glad you have nice memories of her.

Cathy Thanks, Kelly. Have you tried talking to the library and making a deal? Sometimes they will reduce a fine, although a replacement is harder. I know how you feel, I spilled a glass of water last night and it was almost a very expensive library disaster! Gotta stop keeping a pile of borrowed books on the floor next to the bed. Good luck, I hope you get to see these books soon.

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly  Maybedog My library is very nice and they usually will waive the fine if you have to replace the book. They'll even let you buy a copy yourself and hand it in if it's in like new condition.