Ruby's Reviews > Shantaram

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

F_50x66
Apr 07, 09

Read in April, 2009

This book was highly entertaining, though sometimes annoyingly preachy and deliberately epigrammatic.

10 sept 2007:

page 60 - "the truth is a bully we all pretend to like." one could quibble about the precise identity of the accused, but the sentiment is dead on.

page 63 - "some loves are like that. most loves are like that. your heart starts to feel like an overcrowded lifeboat. you throw your pride out to keep it afloat, and your self-respect and your independence. after a while you start throwing people out - your friends, everyone you used to know. and it's still not enough. the lifeboat is still sinking, and you know it's going to take you down with it. i've seen that happen to a lot of girls here. i think that's why i'm sick of love." because most loves are disparately requited.

page 87 - "fanatics always seem to have the same scrubbed and staring look about them. they have the look of people who do not masturbate, but who think about it almost all the time."

page 90 - "optimism is the first cousin of love, and it's exactly like love in three ways: it's pushy, it has no real sense of humour, and it turns up where you least expect it."

page 91 - "i think that's probably what love is - a way of earning the future."

page 99 - "wisdom is just cleverness with all the guts kicked out of it."

page 124 - "but i couldn't respond. my culture had taught me all the wrong things well. so i lay completely still, and gave no reaction at all. but the soul has no culture. the soul has no nations. the soul has no color or accent or way of life. the soul is forever. the soul is one. and when the heart has its moment of truth and sorrow, the soul can't be stilled. i clenched my teeth against the stars. i closed my eyes. i surrendered to sleep. one of the reasons why we crave love, and seek it so desperately, is that love is the only cure for loneliness, and shame, and sorrow. but some feelings sink so deep into the heart that only loneliness can help you find them again. some truths about yourself are so painful that only shame can help you live with them. and some things are just so sad that only your soul can do the crying for you." ugh. how relentlessly and intolerably true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

suzy Hey, I'm about 1/2 through the book, and that quote on page 63 also stood out to me too, as did the one on page 87...wait, all the ones you listed did!