Maddie's Reviews > Truancy

F 50x66
Jun 17, 2009

it was ok
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** First off, for anyone interested in learning more about school, and the lack of anything good and/or pleasant in it, check out 'school-survival.net'. That site alone is what has gotten me through high school school (along with my friends) and is what is likely to keep me sane for the rest of it.

That said, this book was alright. I'm in high school, and a lot of these issues that the fictional students are faced with in school are highly exaggerated versions of the truth. Highly exaggerated to fit the dystopian universe, but still true, in some way, shape, or form.

One thing that I couldn't stand, however, was the fact that the character Usami was quite obviously a self-insertion of the author. Usami is simply Isamu spelled backwards, and it's not that hard to figure out. That said, either he considers the general populace incredibly stupid, or he's just very arrogant. Personally, I think the latter, considering what kind of character Isamu shaped Usami into being. Usami is portrayed as a prodigy, a genius, who simply cannot be defeated by anyone, due to mastery of martial arts. I'm sure that this is, at least partially, his fantasy. He is entirely entitled to this fantasy, however, I wish he had made it a little less obvious, as I had a slight distaste for him while reading the book. Over all, it distracted me from the story itself. He is quite intelligent, as shown by not only writing an entire novel, which is more than I have done, but also getting it published. To each his own, these are just my opinions.

Apart from the fact that the author is so blatantly arrogant, I thought that it was a good book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truancy.

Heather I understand what you're saying about Truancy, but I would disagree on how Umasi was a self-insertion of the author. Yes, it is his own name spelled backwards, but if you do a little bit of searching (read a few interviews by Isamu Fukui), you'll find that he has said that he simply named Umasi 'Umasi' because he didn't have any other name for him, and he didn't want to take the time to come up with one. He meant to change Umasi's name, but never got around to it. He has also said that he now wishes he had taken the time to change Umasi's name, because he has so many people ask him if it's a self-insertion. He's tired of talking about that.

Also, Isamu Fukui has said that if any character is a self-insertion, it would be Zyid, who he purposefully modeled to look like himself. Compare the descriptions of Zyid in the book with the author's photo on the back cover of Truancy.