Joni's Reviews > The Boxmaker's Son

The Boxmaker's Son by Donald S. Smurthwaite

Oct 04, 09

bookshelves: recommended
Read in October, 2009

I tired of this book quickly, but continued with it. The more I read, the more it grew on me and I understood. It suddenly hit close to home, as it reminded me of my late grandfather who was a lot like the father in the book. I enjoyed his description of the simplicity of life, things as simple as taking care of your lawn, so the neighborhood kids could play there - "The grass will come back, but will the boys? Lawns were made for boys." Enjoy those simple things in life. "Time is a bandit." It may be silly and seem insignificant to some, but I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood where the children play freely and the adults talk over lemonade and homemade cookies. Even if it isn't the 50's anymore. Simple things shown in actions can reveal the type of person one is, "...he'd first noticed something that caused me to stand out. He'd noticed I tried extra hard not to slide on the grass, not to leave a brown smear where the lawn grew. He said it was there he knew that I knew what it meant to respect others. He said he thought I would be a good missionary, because I didn't slide on the lawn." My Grandfather represented those type of simple things. Because "You can tell a lot about a fellow by how he keeps his yard and if he keeps his shoes shined." The profound yet simple life lessons taught by a father to his son (or grandfather to a granddaughter) by example are the most powerful of all.
"Kindness lives. It is real and tangible and it lives somewhere and will always be there. Kindness and love is matter and cannot be destroyed, but it can be recalled and found over and over again. It's out there. It lives."
"I have learned that greatness is not often born at the head of armies or standing before large gatherings of people. I have learned that it is only rarely manifested in grandiose words or bold action and that it has little to do with position or title or authority. Rather, true greatness most often comes from small turnings within the soul, in quiet ways, in actions that the world will little note. Greatness is around us, below us. It is not often above us. We need to reach down for greatness, where the small things are at our feet. It comes in small, simple words and sublime magnanimity."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boxmaker's Son.

Quotes Joni Liked

“Kindness lives. It is real and tangible and it lives somewhere and will always be there. Kindness and love is matter and cannot be destroyed, but it can be recalled and found over and over again. It's out there. It lives.”
Donald S. Smurthwaite, The Boxmaker's Son

“I have learned that greatness is not often born at the head of armies or standing before large gatherings of people. I have learned that it is only rarely manifested in grandiose words or bold action and that it has little to do with position or title or authority. Rather, true greatness most often comes from small turnings within the soul, in quiet ways, in actions that the world will little note. Greatness is around us, below us. It is not often above us. We need to reach down for greatness, where the small things are at our feet. It comes in small, simple words and sublime magnanimity.”
Donald S. Smurthwaite, The Boxmaker's Son